This web site uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience and to deliver appropriate content.

Weekend Round Up 10/11/18


The 1s welcomed Durham University to the Midlands for their 3rd home match of the season and anticipated a strong and physical encounter.

The game started brightly and a well taken goal from Rachael Mack led to the team going 1-0 ahead. More pressure from Leicester led to superb solo strike from Mack to fire in a reverse stick shot and take the team to 2-0.
Later in the half NZ player Oriwa Hepi making her second appearance, put away the 3rd goal to make it 3-0 for half time.

In the second half Leicester Keeper Caitlin Jeffries made some significant saves to keep the visitors out and later on striker Flora England was wiped out by the opposition goalkeeper to earn a penalty stroke which Rachael Mack tucked away to give her a hat-trick and take the team to a 4-0 win.

A pleasing result against a team that has been doing very well in the league and one that Leicester can be proud of.



Leicester started brightly dominating early proceedings and it wasn’t long before their pressure was rewarded. After a slick move down the right a scramble in front of goal resulted in a penalty corner from which Leicester took the lead.However, Northampton came back into the game winning a number of contentious corners. The first Northampton goal came after the initial shot was travelling above the backboard however this wasn’t spotted and after the initial save the Northampton player volleyed home. A second soon followed as Northampton were awarded another short corner and a slick left slip move was dispatched.
Northampton scored a third before the half time break and the sides went into the break with the away side in the lead.

The second half started with Leicester struggling to outlet but they grew into the game and the second half resulted in a number of Leicester chances which they couldn’t convert.
The game finished 3-1 to Northampton.




The sun was shining and the wind had dropped as Leicester ventured to Loughborough Town 2s for a 9am start.
The game started with Leicester's pushback but after only 2/3 passes Town turned the ball over for their first attacking opportunity in the Leicester 23. Town begun to step up the pressure and broke the deadlock with an early goal thanks to a few defensive mishaps. The quality of tackling begun to deteriorate as the play became more frustrated and the first green card was given to Loughborough Town. Roshni and Ellie worked hard on the left hand side working the ball up the pitch to release Lauren up front but the Loughborough defence dealt with the attacks calmly.  Both sides battled hard creating attacking opportunities, though the bulk of these favoured Loughborough Town, they were unable to find the target and the score remained 1-0 going into half time.

The half time talk agreed Leicester had been giving the ball away cheaply in the middle of the pitch and not exploiting the width of the pitch- simple aims for the second half.

Leicester went out hard again knowing they were in the game and after a number of opportunities a break away from Anna Chapman on the right hand side enabled Sophie and Lauren to pass the ball between them before Lauren scrabbled the ball home- game on! Both umpires had plenty to do and worked hard to keep a fiesty game in check showing more green cards in the second half. Anna Chapman had an enforced five minute sit down after a particularly dubious tackle gained her a yellow card. Eve's game was over shortly afterwards when she took a deflected ball to the face. Town had a number of short corner opportunities which the backline of Anna, Elsbeth, Ellie, Cas and Casey dealt with. Despite this Leicester continued to dominate possession working hard to transfer the ball and look to play the ball wider with Simran, Katie, Roshni and Elise working hard in midfield. Leicester pressure from Anna C, Lauren and Sophie paid off wining a number of free hits outside the D and two short corners but were unable to convert their chances. A breakaway against the run of play provided Loughborough Town with the winner to close the game out 2-1.

Particular mention goes to Sophie who at 13 battled hard the entire game and was able to hold her own against a much older and physical opposition. The Threes will be bitterly disappointed to not at least come away with a draw and ultimately individual errors in all areas of the pitch were to blame. The Threes have a week off this week will hope to bounce back on the 24th November against Loughborough Students 5s away. 

Squad: Cas Evans (GK), Anna Chapman, Anna Kendall, Casey Humphreys, Elise Atkinson, Ellie Lineham, Elsbeth Woodgate, Eve Moss, Katie Evans-Puttick, Lauren Clough, Roshni Frances, Simran Sambi, Sophie Levy.




on Saturday the Leicester 4s travelled over to Manor Road to take on the organised Leicester University 1s team. Leicester were slow to get into the game however soon upped the work rate and energy working well together. Abi, Sarah L, Emma and Anna arranged themselves well protecting the goal, coupled with Cas’ communication (which I heard from the other side of the pitch) provided a strong defensive line. Anna launched herself into her first 4th team game and played well in right defence. Unfortunately Leicester university were awarded a penalty corner which set them off on a 1-0 lead. Leicester were not disheartened and Kirky in midfield used her skill and determination to set Libby and Caitlin on a run towards goal. However unfortunately was intercepted. Another goal was conceded by Leicester aided by a very skillful player on the students behalf.

The first half finished 2-0

With a tactical team talk by Dave and Sarah R the teams spirits were lifted and the energy was higher than in the first half. However the students pressed high stopping any long balls coming out of defence. Sarah L's work rate was incredible throwing herself in front of balls to protect the goal. Also Sarah R continued to create space in the midfield with her determination and speed. After a hard battle by Kirky, Libby was set on a run who released it to Lauren who ran down the left wing into the circle gaining a penalty corner due to obstruction which was cleared by the students. Jen created some chances on the right side however we could not manage to put it in the back of the net. Leicester University were set free again and gained a penalty corner in which they placed into the net. Throughout the game Cas made some excellent saves and was on her toes for the constant balls coming her way. A 4th goal for the students was awarded in the last few minutes leaving the score line at 4-0.

The score line did not reflect the game and the energy and work rate from Leicester was high throughout.

Deservingly the player of the match went to Cas who maintained communication and composure throughout the game.

Team: Cas E, Abi A, Emma R, Sarah L, Eleanor I, Caitlin P, Libby H, Sarah R, Lauren E, Liv K, Anna K, Jen P