This web site uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience and to deliver appropriate content.

  • Home
  • News
  • Men's First Team Report - The Late Late (But Also Quite Early) Show

Men's First Team Report - The Late Late (But Also Quite Early) Show

Thanks to captain Declan organising some seats in front of a fairly big screen, LCHC Men's 1s were up at the crack of dawn for a 9am meet in leafy Hampton-in-Arden.

Unfortunately Eddie and the team hadn’t got the memo and weren’t able to deliver the result that most of the travelling party were hoping for.

As the Ladies 1s weren’t playing, coach Oriwa was able to make an appearance on the sidelines and impart some tactical knowledge and role specific instructions.

City started the game brightly and were ahead early doors when debutant Rahul slotted home after nice build-up play from Mo S and Jacob B. The home side responded with some slick play which resulted in a couple of short corner, the second of which was turned in to Ross’ foot on the line for a flick.

The umpires used the pause in the game to solve some technical issues but the wait seemed to unsettle the opposition forward who screwed his shot wide. The rest of the half saw City under the cosh and struggling to distribute the ball at 16s but they made it in to the goal for the half-time oranges and Haribo with their lead intact.

Unfortunately the lead didn’t last long as the home side stepped up the intensity and a spin and shot from top of D saw the home side level. City were given a warning of what was to come as the home forward once again wriggled free and fired a reverse hit just wide of the post. That warning wasn’t heeded and a well worked short corner put the home side in to the lead as an unmarked home forward flicked the ball in to the City net.

With the pressure building, Spencer was called in to action on several occasions and a fine double save was a particular highlight. The pressure of this promotion six pointer started to tell and green cards were shown, first to Declan and then to the home captain for being bad-mouthed larrikins.

City attempted to take advantage of their momentary numerical advantage with a swift counter attack which saw Henry deliver a cross which Boyce diverted (possibly a back-stick) across the D towards the far post but ‘clinical’ David M wasn’t able to turn it in from his customary far post position.

With the seconds ticking away the home side started to play for the corners but Luke won the ball back and set Karl away to drive at the D, his pass in took a double deflection which sent the ball high in the air and Jacob D executed an audacious overhead reverse volley that wrong footed the home ‘keeper and levelled the scores.

Once the visitors wild celebrations had died down, there was just enough time to restart the game before the final whistle blew.

MOTM - Jacob D, What a goal! Did he mean it? Do we care?

DOTD - Mo Shah, wearing a Springboks jersey to the meet, how dare he support his home country?

Team - Spencer (GK), Henry, Luke, Boyce, Ross, Jacob D, Declan, Karl, Rahul, David M, Mo S, Jacob B

PS. Thank you to the home side for letting us watch the rugby and for the bacon sarnies!